Don’t Live Life With Regrets

Lindsay - Overland Park, Kansas
Themes: carpe diem

I remember it as if it were only yesterday. My brother and I were getting ready to eat dinner when my mom and dad told us the news. The previous night my Uncle Mike had been watching TV with his family when he started having a seizure. My aunt and cousin called 911 and he was rushed to the hospital. At first I never really thought anything of it because my dad used to get seizures all the time and everything always ended up fine.

My uncle spent the next few days going through tests trying to figure out what had caused the seizure. On a car ride to high school my junior year, my mom’s brother called and told us the life altering news. My Uncle Mike had stage four brain cancer. For a long time all I felt was anger. I was angry that no one had discovered this sooner and also because I didn’t get to know my uncle all that well. My Uncle Mike and his family live in Florida, so we only see each other about once a year.

My uncle spent the next few weeks in the hospital undergoing surgery to have the tumor removed. After he had recovered from that, he started doing radiation. For a while everything seemed like it was going ok. He was eventually able to go home. One day everything came to a startling halt. My uncle started getting really sick and was rushed to the hospital. He stayed there for a few weeks when the doctors decided that there was no more that they could do for him. The doctors recommended that he go to a hospice center.

My uncle was in hospice for about a week with little change, when he decided that he wanted to go home. At first no one agreed to let him go, but he knew that his time was coming. One of his last wishes was to be at home with his family when it happened. Well, he got his wish. After arriving home, it seemed like everything was ok. He wasn’t getting better or worse. Until one day my uncle went into a coma. The hospice nurses told my aunt that he would never come back out of the coma and that it wouldn’t be long before he was actually gone. One day after the nurse left, my aunt was sitting in the kitchen and she looked up to see my uncle staring back at her. At this point, he could no longer talk so he gave her a thumbs up, letting her know that everything was going to be okay. He quickly fell back asleep and early the next morning he passed away.

I believe that you shouldn’t live life with regrets. I never got to know my uncle and after he passed away I realized that you should get to know people while you can because you never know when it’s going to be too late.