Paul - Overland Park, Kansas

Learning from the Hard Times

In the year 2002 my uncle was killed in a car accident when a deer was hit by another car and went through the windshield of my uncle’s car. That same year my youngest sister, Kate, almost died when she chocked on a almond. My parents had to rush her to the hospital and the doctors said if they got her there a couple of minutes later she might not have made it. Then a few months later my grandfather died of emphysema. This was a really tough time for my family. Getting through this time made me realize how important it is to find out what you want to do in life and then just go for it because it could be gone at anytime. Doing this has helped me to work harder at everything that I do.

Hard times like these make me realize how much I have and how much I take for granted. You can never know how much you have until it is gone. Everything that you want you should go for it. Everything that the believe in you should stand up for it no matter what anyone else says. I believe that people should not be afraid to do something just because of what other people think. If its something that you want to do then you should do it to the best of your ability. If you hold back because of what people think then the opportunity can be gone and you may never get it back.

When times are at there worst it is when we learn the most about ourselves. It causes us to look inside ourselves and see who we really are. When people get through these times they usually are better for it. I know that the hard times in my life have caused me to go after what I want. I know that I can’t wait for things to come to me; that I have to go get them for myself. If want something, go after it, and never give up then you can do anything.