Ibelieve in santa clause

Carolyn - Overland Park, Kansas

I believe in Santa Clause. Before any judgments are made, let me explain myself. Christmas is hands down one of the biggest days of the year. Virtually very race and religion celebrate some form of Christmas or holiday season. It is the one thing that brings people together. For example, there is nothing like driving down the street in your neighborhood to see trees coordinated together in green and white lights. Neighbors who never talk, better yet will never know each other come together to take part in the Christmas spirit as a neighborhood. Or feeling claustrophobic as you try to walk into the mall, getting last minute Christmas gifts seems to be a trademark of every Christmas.

Santa Clause is another aspect of the Christmas season that brings people together of all ages. As children, we are led to believe in a jolly man, dressed in red that watches over us. We were extra good to ensure a spot on the beloved nice list. We visited him in malls, whether we were scared or not (I personally cried the first three years going to visit Santa) and sang Christmas carols about Santa and his eight reindeers. Yes, we may have questioned how he visited the whole world in one night, but with different time zones and our innocence, we knew it was somehow possible. Soon, after seeing Christmas presents in your parents closets and then finding them under the tree from Santa or pure common sense, we realized that Santa, in fact, is one big conspiracy that has lasted from generation to generation.

So no, I don’t believe in some overweight guy, dressed in a red suit, coming down my chimney to give me gifts. But, I do believe in the idea of Santa and the ability for one fictional man to bring together people from all different places and ages.