The Power of a Question

Kelsey - Overland Park, Kansas
Themes: question

I believe in the simple question. It’s not rocket science, simply a question, but you never know where it will lead. The power that a question has is greatly underestimated.

My mom has raised me to do things for myself and if I want something I must ask. It started when I was young when I had to ask to play with a friend’s toy rather than just taking it. By the time I was four years old and could barely peek over the top of McDonald’s counter, my mom had me ordering my Happy Meal. It has since grown to calling the hair stylist to make an appointment, and so on. It may not seem like much, but it builds up our confidence and allows us to more comfortably ask for more important things.

If you don’t ask, you’ll never know the answer. My mom has always said to me, “What’s the worst they could say, no?” “No” may not be the desired answer, but I will never know if I don’t ask.

I have found that since I have started asking more and more questions as I grow older, I am getting more and more opportunities and I don’t always get the presumed answer. There are many times that you think the answer will just be a flat no; however it’s not the case. More often than not I find myself receiving a “yes” answer rather than “no” or at least getting a dialogue.

I have also found that by asking questions that aren’t yes or no questions, it can brighten someone’s day. Just the other day I was eating dinner in a restaurant and a girl’s shirt caught my eye. I kept glancing over at it periodically throughout my dinner, wondering where it was from and where I could get one. My mom said that I should just ask her where she got it. So after I had finished my dinner I approached the table and asked her where she had gotten her shirt. She told me where and seemed very flattered. That question made us both feel good.

As I grow older, I have realized that just as Randy Pausch in The Last Lecture said, “Waiting is not how I want to spend my time, so I ask…” A question in a powerful thing, don’t you think?