Importance Of Family

Matthew - Overland Park, Kansas

The week has been grueling, filled with tests, assignments, and any other unneeded stress thrown in. You can count on a group of people who are always there for you. They don’t always look the same but they all feel the same about each other. When it comes down to it your family is your back bone. When you’re happy your family is there to share it with and when you’re down your family is there to pull you up. There is no emotional slump or a highest peak they cannot withstand. Your family is always with you, and that is what makes me who I am.

As I go through the search to find the right college I find myself looking through many letters and emails. About the time I feel I’ve had it with the same letter templates full of superficial interest my mom comes over my shoulder and says, “I know it’s going to be fine.” I’ll never forget moments like that from my mom. It is her comforting presence that will stay with me long after she is gone. When I am stressed over paperwork later in life in my profession I will hear my mother’s voice in my head.

My dad has many supportive reinforcements when I’m feeling down on myself. After a sports game I always critique myself very hard over a few plays. After a win against a rival I was disappointed over one play, my dad was sitting next to me and he said, “It’s not one action that dictates how you played.” I will always be reminded when I have made a slip up that the end product is not reduced to a lesser value because of it.

Two sisters are the craziest combo when it comes to celebrations. After winning a playoff game I met up with both of them screaming with flailing arms. As they ran across the field I didn’t know whether to say, “Look out!” or to run towards them. I chose to do both, as people dodged out of the way of both me and my hazardous sisters we met with a huge embrace. I’ll never forget the moment; sharing a great accomplishment with two rabid beasts I call sisters.

When I am down I rely on my family who carries me until I can walk. I couldn’t be luckier to be born with people who care about me so much. I hope all those who are down at one point or another are as lucky as I am to hear, “I know everything will be alright,” or “It’s not one action that dictates the end result.” I pray that all people are as lucky as I am to have a group who bounce you back up when you are down and to flounder around fanatically in the times of your success. Family is the most important influence on shaping a person who can roll with the punches and soar with the eagles. This I believe.