Irony in Miracles

Kathleen - Overland Park, Kansas

There has not been one day in my life that I have wished for a different family. I firmly believe that I could not have been more blessed than to be in the family I belong to. As I’ve grown older, I have learned not to take my family for granted.

My grandpa has experienced health problems that would kill many people, but he has fought through them all. He had a horrible heart attack and a stroke that should have killed him, yet he has not let that change him from the goofy man he is. He cares very deeply about all of his grandchildren and would give the world for them in a heart-beat.

Grandpa is constantly joking around; one particular joke, however, hit very close to home. I was at my grandparent’s house for dinner with my family. After dinner I sat to talk to my grandpa and he was joking around with me as usual. Laughing my grandpa told me “I’m giving you seven years to get married Kathleen. That’s it!” In saying this he was referring to wanting to see me married before he dies.

At the time I took the joke lightly, but a week later there was a certain irony to the joke that still haunts me. My parents informed me that doctors had found the very early stages of cancer within my grandpa. He would have to undergo a series of tests in order to see if it was life threatening or not. After taking tests my family learned that if the cancer had not been caught when it was, it would have developed into something much more serious six or seven years later. Luckily, he could undergo treatment to get rid of it without much hassle.

I believe in irony within miracles. Just weeks before my grandpa had given me seven years to complete his wish, and I found out that his prediction was correct. He very well could have lost his life seven years later if not for his doctor’s catch.

Only God knows when one’s life is at its end. I think grandpa still has many years left within him. I hope to be able to keep my promise and have him at my wedding, if circumstances do not allow it, though, his lively spirit will be present with me on that very special day.