I Believe in Duck Hunting

Chris - Leawood, Kansas

I believe in waterfowl hunting and all of its great wonders. I have been an avid waterfowl hunter for the last 5 years and have learned more things from it than anything else in my life. From my experiences, duck and goose hunting is way more than just guys sitting out in fields and killing things.

I believe in getting up at three in the morning and meeting up with your buddies at a local gas station. Listening to ridiculously loud music on the way down to our hunting spot is a must to keep us awake. Once everyone has all there waders, coats, hats, and gloves on, we than debate feverishly on who has to carry the 100 pound bag of decoys. Than we are off on our hike for hundreds upon hundreds of yards, up and down hills, and through water up to our waists, all for a little bird. We throw out the decoys in a spread designed to make the birds land in a specific area and than we wait, sometimes for hours, for the sun to come up.

During this time some would think that you would get bored standing in a marsh, near freezing water up to your waist, and a chilled wind on your face, but I always find ways to entertain myself by watching the marsh wake up and come alive. Once it is time for shooting hours my adrenaline is almost uncontrollable. Ducks starting circling above the decoys and we call back to them making the situation as realistic as possible. As a flock of ducks lock into your decoy spread, cup there wings and commit your heart stops, hoping that they do not flare before they become in shooting range. When you raise your gun, take aim and pull the trigger and that bird drops, it is the best feeling in the world.

I believe in waterfowl hunting for the challenges, memories made and for leaving the marsh early without getting your limit yet, just so that you can make it back to McDonald’s before their breakfast closes. I hope that I have the opportunity to duck hunt for the rest of my life.