What’s Worth Everything?

Jacob - Overland Park, Kansas
Themes: pleasure, work

I believe that all work and no play will make you a dull boy. For instance I have been wrestling since I was seven years old and I enjoy it a lot and it is a big part of my life, but it isn’t my whole life. You see some fathers taking their eight year old kids to all sorts of national tournaments all over the country after the regular season is done and they always get burnt out and usually end up quitting. Sure if I had been wrestling all year long since I was that age I could go to a division one school and probably be really successful, but somewhere in their I would have probably lost the love for the sport which is way more important to me than my own success.

This is my senior year in high school and my last chance to become a state champion and I’d be lying if I told you it wasn’t on my mind, a lot. The good news is that I am ranked first in the state and I would have to be upset in order for myself not to win the title, the bad news is stuff happens and all it could take is one bad match or one dumb injury to end it for me, but I try not to think about. If I don’t win state I’d be disappointed, but I’d get over it because I have taken a lot of lessons from wrestling, had some really good times, and made a lot of close friends from my own school and a lot from other schools.

See if I spent every night training to become I better wrestler think of all the stuff I would miss out on and I know that a story about a kid who sacrificed everything to get what he wanted is a lot more awe inspiring, but is a high school state championship worth sacrificing everything? To me its not and if it is that important to someone else then better they have it than me because in the end I care way more about how good of a person I am than the wrestling legacy I leave behind.