Everything Happens for a Reason

Rachel - Overland Park, Kansas
Themes: purpose

I believe that everything happens for a reason. A lot of the time we don’t always realize what the reason is until later in life, but I am a firm believer in fate. Growing up I always thought that I wanted to be a teacher, but once I got to high school, I realized that teaching was not for me. In a way I felt lost because I had no idea what I wanted to do with the rest of me life.

My freshman and sophomore years were great, but still everyone would ask, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” And, although I still had time, I wanted to figure it out now.

Junior year rolled around, I can honestly say it was the worst year of my life. Everything I loved and believed in I no longer cared about. I began focusing way too much on my physical appearance and that caused me to be unhappy with the other aspects of my life. I no longer thought about what I wanted to be, how I treated others, or even my relationships with my family and friends, all I could think about was how skinny I was or what people thought about my physical appearance. Why would God put me through this? All of this made me wonder, what possible reason God could have for everything that was happening.

Even though then I could not see, this experience has finally helped me to figure out what I should do with my life. I want to work with teenage girls who are going through hard times. I can relate to them, and I can show them that they can get through any struggles in their lives, no matter what.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. That can be a hard pill to swallow at some points in our lives. At first we may not understand why something happened to us, but if we look deep enough we can find those answers.

Now when anyone asks, “What do you want to be?” I can answer; I want to be a therapist. I believe I went through that hard time for a reason, and now I can put that negative time, into a positive life. It may take years to figure out the reason we went through something, and we may never understand, but I believe everything does happen for a reason.