Anna - Overland Park, Kansas

“The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.” I believe in laughter. I truly believe that it is the best medicine. I think that to remain sane you must laugh each day and not just once, as many times as possible. The best laughs are the ones where you are bending over in pain because you are terribly out of breath, with tears running down your face. Those are rare and should be treasured. Not only does laughing burn calories but it has numerous other health benefits. I think that laughing is one of the most underrated cures. It does truly make you feel better and is clinically proven to help increase blood flow throughout your body by expanding your blood vessels, and it has been shown to reduce pain. Laughter is also highly contagious. Laughter actually reduces the stress hormones in our bodies and therefore makes it easier for us to relax. It also increases illness fighting antibodies which keep us healthy. I have always felt the best way to have a good night’s sleep is to think of the funniest thing that happened to you all day and keep that with you.

Laughter also helps us connect with others. They have said that the part of the brain that stimulates laughter is one of the first to develop when we are in the womb. We begin smiling within a few weeks of birth and typically laugh out loud within the first month of our lives.

One of the best ways to laugh is with the people you love around you. There are so many ways to laugh by sharing stories or embarrassing memories. At all times good and bad a hearty laugh can cheer everyone up.

I believe the general population needs to be less serious. Being serious is boring and not very welcoming. Laughing can help you relieve stress and in turn you will be happier. I think that other than the basic necessities being happy is one of the most important things out there. You have to learn to have fun, be happy and most importantly laugh. I wholeheartedly believe in laughing.