Everything Happens for a Reason

angela - overland park, Kansas
Themes: purpose, setbacks

Have you ever worked so hard for something that is important to you to just get rejected? I have. This past fall I worked so hard to get into my dream college. I would study hard for all my test and quizzes and I would actually care about doing my homework. Every week I would go to ACT class for hours to cram more information about the test then I could handle. After all this hard work and effort I ended up getting rejected from my dream college and what I thought at the time my life dreams as well. After thinking about it more I started to believe that everything happens for a reason.

When I got the letter from the mail nerves swelled in my stomach. I had the feeling that I wasn’t going to get in anyways because of the long wait and my ACT score wasn’t up to their standard. When I read that I didn’t make it in I just threw it away. My mom gave me some encouraging words and told me life isn’t over. After having the talk with my mom I realized that I could never have handled Creighton anyways. When you walk into the doors of Creighton they treat you as if you were a genius. I’m not the smartest person in the world so that alone would have made me stick out in a bad way.

I thought that my life dreams went down the toilet too when I saw the rejection note. Creighton has one of the best nursing programs in the mid west. I thought this is the only place where I can become a nurse since its very hard to get into nursing schools. Turns out I have a million places to go that I can be successful at instead of failing and struggling for four years straight. I also realized that I wouldn’t of had any fun their. No one is ever around on the campus, and it was not very homey. The more I think the happier I am that I got rejected.

Rejection is a natural occurrence in life. The way we view rejection is how we take it. Even though I took it well, and thought about the pros and cons of Creighton it still hurt being rejected. From this experience I learn more then ever everything happens for a reason.