Life is Tough

Phanes - Spartanburg, South Carolina

A Tough Lesson on How Life is Not Always Fair

As long as I have been a kid and even now as a young adult my parents, teachers, and even other people have told me that life in not fair. When I hear that phrase, “life is not fair,” usually that means something that should not have happen just happen. When life is not going perfect for him or her there are two ways that he or she usually deal with an obstacle that he or she faces. One way is to accept what has happen even though the situation may not seem right and keep moving on with your life. And they other way is to let what has happen control your attitude and outlook on life. Basketball has taught me many life lessons. What happen to me as a freshman in high school has made me the person I am and who I will become. When I was a junior in high school I feel like something happen to me as well that has help mold me into the person with thick skin. These life lessons have helped me believe not only in the phrase, “life is not fair,” but also to deal with obstacles, adversity, and misfortunes.

We started the 2007-2008 basketball season ranked as the pre-season number one team in the state. All the hype and all the talk around the state was the Spartanburg Vikings are the team to beat. This would be the team that would take Spartanburg back to state after six years. I had made the team after being cut off of the freshman team and had learn a valuable lesson from being cut. Most people have heard the story of how Michael Jordan was cut off of his ninth grade basketball team but worked and never gave up and eventually not only made his high school varsity team but also history. But when my coach told me that story he also made a valuable point that everyone is not Michael Jordan. So once I was cut from the team, I had to make a very important decision on whether or not I am going to be a quitter or someone who is never going to give up. I worked me rear end of all summer and ended up making the Junior Varsity team in tenth grade and making Varsity in eleventh grade.

So I am a junior basketball player who has been cut off my ninth grade team but is now on the number one team in the state. We start off the season with nine straight wins, and head to an Atlanta tournament that the basketball team has never finished higher that third in. We head to the tournament and live up to all the hype and win the whole thing. We had become the first team ever from South Carolina to win a predominantly won Georgia tournament. We came back from Christmas break on cloud nine, but soon we were pulled right back down to reality. We lost one game. Us loosing one game was not a big deal, but us letting this, “loosing” become a cancer to our team was what the big deal was. We ended up being fourth in our region with a twenty and six record. We did not even know whether or not we were going to make the playoffs because we had played so awful in the region. It came down to the last home game against our cross town rivalry. We had to win to make the playoffs. We got lucky this time and beat them. But we would soon learn that life is not always going fair or in this case the ball is not always going to bounce our way.

So the pre-season number one team in the state had gone from being the hottest team in the state at the beginning of the season, to a team that did not even know whether or not they were going to make it to the playoffs. We ended up playing on the road against the number one team at the time. We beat them. And the team and I felt like this could turn into the exact thing we need to spark this team. We end up winning the next four games including the upper state championship. I knew going into to state now that there was no way that we can loose. To speed things up, it was the fourth quarter and we were down by two with one point seven seconds left on the clock and the other team was shooting free throws. The guy missed the free throw and with one seventy five foot shot by Z-man the ball goes in. The crowd was going nuts, I could not even breathe. But the referees were about to turn those cheers into screams of anger. The referee called the shot no good. So we end up loosing by two. I could not hold in the tears and neither could any of my teammates. This was a prime example of how life is not fair. We deserved to win that game and that shot was definitely good. The shot can even be seen on youtube, and even made ESPN. We had a choice to make as a team, either we were going to accept what had happen or make a big deal out of something we could not change. We took our second place medals and moved on with life because we could not change what happened. I learned that life is not fair, but it is all about how you deal with it and move on.

Basketball has taught me so many things off the court. I have learned that you must always do your best and never give up no matter what. If you fall off your ride, get back on and try to ride again. If you get cut off a team, make sure that you tryout again next year. If you do not make an A on a test, study even harder next time. Things are not always going to go your way. I have learned the best way to deal with adversity is head up. Don’t quit if you really want something. And the phrase, “life is not fair,” holds very true. Life is not fair, things are going to happen that do not seem right. But either you will sulk on what has happen and let it affect everything else you do or accept that life is not fair but you must continue on. “Love the life that you live, and live the life that you love.”