Rebecca - Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

I believe in spontaneity. All too often I see people who plan out every second of their lives. There is no room for the unexpected, for the thrill of not knowing what’s going to happen.

Some of the most memorable experiences of a person’s life come from a sudden impulse, from a crazy idea that almost seems unimaginable. I remember when I was at a quarry in Vermont and saw a high ledge that people were jumping off of. I thought to myself that’s crazy I could never do that. All of a sudden I saw my friend run and jump, without thinking I was running in after her. It was one of the most exhilarating moments of my life. It made me believe even more that sometimes you have to just go for it and not think so hard.

It is important for people to get out of their own heads and stop analyzing every situation that presents itself. I believe that if I live in the moment and act on your impulses, life will be that more enjoyable. If I let a moment slip by, then I will most likely regret it later on.

One time I was in the car with my Mom and all of a sudden I saw her taking the wrong exit off the highway. I had no idea what she was doing, but she said that she had always wanted to see the old houses she heard about in this specific town. As we were passing endless rows of beautiful old houses I thought to myself, taking that exit was the most incredible decision my Mom could have made. We stopped in front of one house and just stared in disbelief, neither of us said anything. If my Mom had decided not to act on that sudden urge we would have missed out on one of my favorite memories of the two of us.

One time I was walking outside and all of a sudden it started down pouring, immediately I ran for cover. While I was standing underneath a building I could not help but notice two people running through puddles and dancing in the rain. They were two people enjoying life; you could tell at that moment in time they had no cares in the world. They were not worried about what they had to do the next day or next week or even in the next five minutes. I whole-heartedly believe that if you are spontaneous, and do not take yourself too seriously, you will have a more fulfilling life.

Being spontaneous is not easy for all people. It can be a scary thing to throw myself into an idea that seems ridiculous. Embracing the unexpected and a sudden random idea can turn out being one of the best things I ever chose to do. I believe the key to living a fulfilling life, has everything to do with the idea of spontaneity.