Knowledge is Pain

Michael - leawood, Kansas

Ever since the beginning of time people have been searching for intelligence. Cave men searched for ways to cook food and keep warm, so they discovered fire. We needed to find ways to get around better and have better ways of transporting things so the wheel was created. In China they discovered gunpowder, in the U.S. we created the nuclear bomb.

As people’s knowledge of the world expanded so did their knowledge of pain. People began to notice that the more they knew the more pain they noticed and felt. Before when they knew little they felt little pain.

Adults have been around a while, you can tell by the frown lines on their face and their sad eyes. Over their years they have gained great intelligence and knowledge of the world around them, but at what cost. Adults know more than a child but they also are so much sadder. They walk around day after day with an incredible weight on their backs. For them knowledge is truly a burden.

Children however have shinning smiles and a bright aura of powerful blazing hot energy. They know little and that is why the flame of their smiles never seems to go out. They are so naïve to the world around them. They know nothing of war they know nothing of poverty their ignorance is truly something to be envied.

There is a story of two people, actually the first two people to ever be. Their names everyone knows, Adam and Eve. They were created by God and placed in the beautiful Garden of Eden. The garden had everything anyone could want. But as the story goes there was a tree called the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Adam and Eve ate from that tree and they were thrown out of the beautiful Garden of Eden and were thrown into a harsh world.

This story illustrates what happens to children when they become adults perfectly. They are young and see that everything is beautiful but then they begin to learn about the world around them and all that beauty that once surrounded them is snuffed out. Just like Adam and Eve, they were children when they entered the garden and they were adults when they left.

I believe that ignorance is bliss. When all you know is what you have then it is difficult to be sad for anything. The knowledge of the world around us is what gives us pain. But pain is necessary, pain is what makes life so rich, pain is what makes the good times great. Still I would never want to know everything because the pain of knowing everything would be unbearable.