The Art of Writing

Anna - California, Maryland

The Art of Writing

Every year in all my levels of school, I have had the opportunity to participate in some form of art class. Whether I was finger painting, acting, playing the piano, Photo Shopping, or drawing, art was always present. I savored every drop of it I could get and I am convinced that it has made me a better person. It is not just about being well rounded or high class; it’s so much more than that. Ultimately, art, in whatever form, is an essential piece of what makes a complete human being; this is what I believe.

Throughout every person’s day there are numerous opportunities to engage in art. It varies in several accessible forms such as visual and performing arts like painting and ballet. Many people unfortunately go without participating in any form, though there are so many options. It is simply not enough to just be athletic or good at math, there will always be something lacking. A complete person is an ideal person and art only adds to their fullness.

Of course, on the flip side of those art-deprived souls, there are those who are actively engaged in it. Singers, dancers, painters, writers, chefs, and photographers: each one of these is an artist in their own right. They are connected to the world because they brighten, inform, entertain, and better it. Art is not limited to drawing and painting; it is a great tree branching off in every direction dropping fruit full of happiness and fulfillment.

When a person is exposed to art, they are jolted forward toward enlightenment and wholeness. Life doesn’t have to be dominated by it though; in fact it shouldn’t, for then there comes a tipping of the scales of life’s healthy balance. It is not at all a must to sing, dance, play instruments, paint, write, go to art school, wear odd clothing and hang out in cafes to be an artist.

I like to be as artistic as I can possibly handle, and I have come to find writing particularly satisfying. Writing is so broad, not just limited to papers or poems. Sentences. Words. Letters. Something, anything, be it pressing or mild I love to create and bring my thoughts into form. I write addresses, essays and made-up stories. I write sticky notes to remember things. I write a lot, and I like it.

Writing is not merely a task or everyday occurrence; it is an art form. I respect art, it is one of the few things that motivate me to live, and writing happens to be a part of it. I feel that this activity adds not only to me as a person, but also my life as a whole. Writing is at the base of what we as humans do everyday. We write laws, beliefs and instruction, among other things, that continually guide our actions, thoughts and emotions. It is partial to no one in any way for it strengthens and enhances our character always.