Evan - Overland Park, Kansas

I never knew this until recently, but a lot of kids suffer from horrible experiences…..even my closest friends. The worst part is how most of them feel like nobody cares, and that they are too afraid to ask for help even though they want it. I think kids underestimate how much it helps to open up about their hardships. I believe in being able to trust your friends with anything.

Without my closest friends, I would not be able to overcome any sort of adversity. Whenever I struggle, I go to them for support. While they cannot carry my burdens for me, they offer me words of encouragement that somehow make everything okay.

I found out a couple months ago that one of my best friends made a mistake that has scarred her for life. One evening I was talking to her, and she told me never to treat the opposite sex with disrespect. I was a bit puzzled since this is one of my basic values, and inquired as to why she was telling me this. Out it spilled. She had been used by another guy. My heart was ripped into a million pieces; I had always heard about these situations but I never thought it could happen to one of my own friends. She told me that it had happened awhile ago, and when I asked why she never told me she said that she was afraid of what I would think of her. I was upset because I could have helped her, and she wouldn’t have had to suffer all of those months dealing with the pain on her own. Her self-esteem had hit rock bottom and that is a dangerous position to be in.

At first I wondered if I had been a poor friend; if I had done something to lose her trust. However, she told me that the reason she couldn’t go to me was because she was afraid of losing MY trust and respect for her. I explained to her that people make mistakes, and that it would take a heck of a lot more for me to reject her friendship. After we had this discussion, she felt like she was able to move on again. Before she had felt stuck, and unable to live her life the way she wanted to. It is through experiences like these that make me believe in the trust of our friends and how it helps us survive.