this i believe- family

Colleen - Thornton, New Hampshire

If you ask many individuals about their earliest happy memories, it will usually involve their family. Family helps to instill the most important values and beliefs in each generation. The people that are involved in a child’s life as they grow up are huge influences on them and their behavior. I believe in the importance of family and the impact it has on the individual.

Children learn a lot about the world through the people they grow up with. Children are taught by example and when they watch adults react to a certain situation or behave in a specific way, it teaches them how they should respond in a similar situation. This can be either positive or negative, depending on how the adults react. The adults must pay attention to the messages they are relaying to their children, because these messages could be good or bad.

People rely on the lessons they have learned when they were children to make decisions in their daily lives as adults. Teenagers are faced with hard decisions and peer pressure and sometimes they will stray in the wrong direction with their friends. If they have been taught over the years by their family, that certain decisions they make could hurt not only themselves but the people around them, they will take the time to think about the consequences. If they have parents who discipline them, they will learn that each decision they make has certain results.

Being a part of a family also teaches a person how to compromise with one another and work problems out. Having siblings can help a child learn to cooperate with other children before they even get to school. Siblings also start learning how to resolve conflicts amongst each other which is an essential skill for later in life when there are more important conflicts that need to be solved. The basic ‘building blocks’ for relationships that the individual will have throughout their life will come from their relationships in their family.

Families also teach important values such as respect and trust. Children learn to respect and listen to their parents which also teaches them to respect other adults and people older than themselves. They also learn to have respect for themselves in the way they look and act. If parents enforce their rules for their children while they are growing up, then the child learns that rules are meant to be followed and that something negative will happen if they don’t. People in a healthy family situation learn to trust and rely on other members of the family to help them out as well. Cooperation and reliance on other people really help in school and in the workplace and the more people practice these skills, the easier they become to apply to in their life.

Family is also an important factor in carrying on traditions that add to the diversity of the world. Every family has their own things that they do that contribute to the conservation of traditions that have been passed down through the generations. This also shows the children that the history of their family and everything that they have accomplished is something to be proud of. It makes the individual proud of their family identity and makes them feel like they are an individual.

Family is an important thing to have even though not everyone is fortunate enough to have a good family to look up to. It helps develop a child into a well-rounded individual who can contribute a lot to society. I believe family is one of the most important aspects of life.