The Other Half of the Battle

Nicole - Winter Park, Florida
Themes: parenthood

I believe that a parent’s primary job is the honest education and support of their child.

Half of a parent’s battle with life is to know how to teach their children the harder lessons of life. Why is so hard to educate children early on the harsher lessons of life? When a person brings another human being into this world I believe that it is their responsibility to honestly educate this child from the moment the child is able to comprehend a smile. I have seen parents lie to their children in order to protect them from the harmful truths of this world. This may work for some parents, but what about the negative effects this may have on the child in the future.

As an adult I now see the world in a more realistic view. My parents never educated me on world wars, homeless, failure, and other things of that nature. These things didn’t exist in my younger world. I was the princess who had everything. The older I became the more the world hit me like a huge disappointment. I almost felt as if I had been let down by my parents with each disappointing experience. As I reflect upon my teenage years I now know how naïve and gullible I was.

Almost every parent I have met has taught their child not to talk to or to go with strangers from, an early age. This is usually a child’s first indication that the world is not like all of those Disney Movies they have seen. I plan to teach my child the horrors of the world in which we live so when a terrible incident occurs such as 9/11 my child will be able to look past the horror and shock of such a situation and be prepared to help those in need the best possible way. On a less drastic scale, if my child doesn’t make the football team or doesn’t get into the college of their choice, my child will be able to identify with and differentiate between the realistic outcomes such as maybe football isn’t for me and I need to work harder to get into this college.

I believe that when you demonstrate complete honesty with a child from the moment you begin to educate them that the child will go through life more prepared and suffer less disappointments. A child that is more aware of best and worst case scenarios will know when a situation is a bad one and how to handle it. So if knowing is half the battle, what is the other half?