Originals are worth more than Copies

Maddie - Overland Park, Kansas

What is a belief? According to the dictionary, it is “a vague idea in which some confidence is placed.” This I believe: I believe that it is important to stay true to yourself and who you are inside. I believe that outside influences should not change who you are as an individual. I believe when you are born, you are an individual, and you have the choice to choose your path.

What would the world be like if everyone was the same? If they had the same personality, same fashion sense, same hair style, or same name? Well, the world would suck! There would be nothing to look forward to because everyday, everyone would be doing the same thing. Think about the people in your life that stick out and who are not afraid to be themselves. Those are the kind of people that make our world diverse and interesting. Those are the people who are not afraid to stick to their beliefs.

Some might think it is challenging to stick with what they believe. They might be scared of the judgment of others, or they might even be insecure about themselves. But personally, I am proof that sticking to what you believe is possible. I have been myself through hard times and put-downs. In my family, I am known as the different child. I am absolutely nothing like my older sister or younger brother, except the fact that we look alike. My sister comes from the party crowd, my brother comes from no crowd, and I guess I just come from my own crowd. I have learned that I do not need to change myself to be accepted by my family. Even though they constantly put me down for being the odd duck, I know they still love me.

When I was younger, I would constantly follow around my sister and copy her every move. But what is the point in being a follower your whole life? There has never been two Albert Einsteins or two Britney Spears. They might have gone down some rough roads, but in the end, they come out to be very successful. So, why would I change myself to fit in, when I have the chance to possibly become successful myself?

Therefore, I believe in being yourself, an original. I believe that we should not allow outside influences to change who we truly are inside. This is my vague idea in which my confidence is placed.