The Light from Past to Future

ying - Shanghai, China

Is it true that we have entered into an era in which people no longer read classics? We lavish our care on sinking into sofas, only with our thumbs exercising on remote controls; we dive into the internet, surfing the huge tide of information, and also the passage of time; we scan newspapers, and our eyes sparkle barely on sensations: we do read, from time to time,and in variety: How to Become Rich in Half a Year, The Collection of Scandals and, A Glance on the Classics. Having pictured those familiar moments in our daily life hereinbefore, is it safe to say that nowadays we can live without classics?

The answer is no, and should always be negative. Classics are needed, at any time, for good. It is as nourishment is needed when one’s stomach is getting starved and water is needed when one’s mouth is drawing near to dry as light is in need when one’s eyes are searching in the dark for a long time. No matter how many excuses we can pile up, we are destined to read classics, since the longer we’ve groped for in the dark, the eagerer we are for a shed of light to guide us.

I believe reading classics never get out of date.

Classic is a beam of light that comes from past still shines at present, and guide to future.

Taking my own experience as an example, I’ve been frequented by some Chinese classics such as The Analects, which stands and shines.

Reading The Analects smoothes me , warms me and guides me.

One should seek the independence of one’s spirit, the peace of one’s heart, the happiness of one’s soul, strive for these,and preserve them—— The Analects reminds me.

How loud it hits in the age of haste and confusion!

In these days of broken frontiers and collapsing values, when money crowds out of everything on the list, when impatience and apartness are haunting around the streets, when the most intimate and secure thing is found to be vulnerable, the most firm and trustful relationship turn to be on the cliff. The only thing can rescue and release us is the inner selves. And classics are among such bricks that build our inner fibre.

Everytime I am reading The Analects, as well as many other classics,is letting the breeze blow off the stuffiness, is letting the stream cleanse the dust, is a miror to reflect, is a pause to rest, is a question mark to ask: Are you living a life with value and efficiency?

I believe reading classics, for we are far away from lost, in the light from past,to future.