We Should Learn to Step Out of Our Comfort Zone

Jill - Ames, Iowa

During my 6th grade year I learned to believe that stepping out of our comfort zone is not always a bad thing. In fact, you can have some amazing new experiences, and meet many new people.

We all remember our 6th grade year. We were preparing to move to the middle school, and we had heard the stories of the 8th grade bullies, how the big kids took your lunch money, and how you got boatloads of homework every night. Starting middle school was just plain scary!

I had these fears, but I was prepared to face them. I was going to start this new chapter in my life with confidence. I was going to stay in with my group of friends, and if we drifted apart than I would get over it and move on. I was going to face my fears.

Suddenly, my life was turned upside down.

“I have some big news to tell you guys,” said my dad, “I have accepted a new job directing a project in Chattanooga, Tennessee for two years. After I am finished, we are going to move back here.”

I hadn’t even taken a bite of my dinner yet, but I did not want to hear anymore. I slammed my chair out from the table and ran up to my room crying. I locked the door and started plotting a way for me to stay in Newton my whole life, wondering how my parents could even make this decision without my input. Then I cried my self to sleep, and didn’t talk to anyone the next day. I would have nothing to do with this moving business.

Of course my plan to stay and live by myself didn’t work out, and before I knew it the moving truck was parked outside the front of our house loading up all of our belongings into boxes, and then moving them out to the truck. This didn’t seem real to me; we couldn’t actually be leaving this place, then came the time to say goodbye.

I remember what my friend was wearing, a Limited Too monkey sweatshirt with bananas down the sleeve. She walked up the steps carrying a gift, things for me to do on the 21 hour car ride. I remember walking outside and just hugging her. I had never cried in front of people before, but as soon as we started our hug, there were tears rolling down my face, soaking her sweatshirt, but I didn’t really care at that point. I was saying goodbye to the person that I had been friends with since I was 4 years-old.

Then the day came to start middle school in our new town. I had no friends, and I didn’t even know what my school looked like. I didn’t sleep at all the night before.

It all turned out to be okay though. I met new friends, and built some great relationships. From this experience I learned that everyone should force themselves out of their comfort zone once and a while to see what good might come out of it.