I believe in Karate

Connor - Hillsboro, Oregon

Karate teaches you many things. Like being humble, learning control, and discipline.

Karate has helped me in more ways then not, I love it. I have been doing karate for almost 8 years now, and I am a Jr. Black Belt.

There are many ways karate teaches you to be humble. I was always taught to never boast, or brag. I remember when, I was at a karate tournament and a couple kids where talking about how if they won what their parents would buy them. One kid said his dad would buy him a laptop if he won 1st place, another kid said his dad would give him money. During that time I said nothing. And after all that conversation and after we were done competing, I ended up winning 1st place. I was also taught to never threaten anyone with my background of karate. For example, ‘I’m in karate so I’m going to beat you up if you don’t stop talking!’ In karate there are tournament we compete in, we are taught to not talk about how great we did in that tournament. Mostly karate teaches you to only speak good things of others, and not just of yourself.

We also learn control in karate. We learn control in many different ways, ways like controlling anger, controlling punches and kicks, and controlling your breathing. I think that the most important way of control is controlling anger, controlling your anger helps you so much in school just because of how people talk about you behind your back or they spread rumors about you. I remember when, people would spread rumors about me or say stuff behind my back and then I would hear about it. Sometimes I would get very angry. I learned that if I had a friend to talk to about it (as long as they listened) then I would feel better. I then learned if I just didn’t listen to it then it wouldn’t make me angry anymore and I wasn’t talked about in gossip anymore.

In my opinion, discipline is the most important skill we learn in karate. Discipline helps with almost everything you do in your life. I remember when I would be with my mom and she would be shopping, when she was shopping it would sometimes make me impatient. But since I had the skill of being disciplined I was able to not say anything at all and let her do her business. I’m sure she is very happy I have that skill. It also helps in school, to listen to your teachers, and follow the rules. It even helps at home, for things listening to your parents when they tell you to do something, or chores, depending on how well you are trained with discipline they don’t even need to tell you to do your chores!

I believe in Karate. I believe Karate teaches you how to be humble, learn different ways of control, and to learn discipline. I am proud of what I do and at the same time, I am proud of who I am.