Together as One

Jesse - Anoka, Minnesota

In my dictionary, Crisis is defined as: The time when everyone is closest, together as one family. No matter what happened we were there for each other, sharing sobs, and laughs of all sorts. As one of my mother’s best friends was going on vacation, she had asked us to watch her dog for us. Carl was his name, a beautiful young poodle pup with bright amber eyes. His hair puffed out between my fingers as I gently patted his fur coat. The snarls of hairs were unwinding before my eyes. He was the most amazing thing I had ever seen, the way he spoke to the cars in his language that were driving down our busy street on 8th lane. I had never had a dog before. But when mother told me it was only temporary I threw a fit!

I had to keep him, but if I couldn’t have him nobody would! I paced back and forth in my bedroom like my dad always does throwing my hands in the air and pulling out little hairs on my head. But then I had a plan, I would let Carl run free in our neighborhood, then whenever I would call him he would come and I could play with him. Boy was a wrong! I opened the sliding glass door and Carl went sprinting diving off of our steps and into our backyard, then the front, and away from our house, and into the neighbors yard. Within a matter of seconds the unstoppable, car-chasing noisy steam train was gone. I just stood there and called his name. No answer

I scrambled outside following the annoying barking and the turned up earth under my feet. My mom was chasing me and saw the whole thing; she beckoned me into the car. We sped down the road shouting out the poor pup’s name, I was imagining the worst. My mother was on the phone with our neighbor on vacation. The sun baked the outside of our car like a pastry in the oven. I called his name numerous times, nothing. What had I done? Will we ever find him? Then he rushed from around the other side of our neighbor’s house, he leapt into my arms, and I could feel his warm dirty fur coat between my fingers again. Tears of joy rained down my cheeks as we entered our cement driveway.

I was ashamed by what I had done. But the thirty minutes of searching had brought my mom and I closer together, all I could remember was that stare my mother had given me. It stayed with me forever. Although I was punished fairly, I look back on it and think about the lesson I had learned that day. I believe in Crisis, the time when everyone is closest.