Dessert Before Dinner and Dancing in the Rain

Grace - Anoka, Minnesota
Themes: carpe diem

We must live our lives to the fullest, celebrating every moment we’re alive. Our lives are a privilege, a gift from God. We will not last forever, that is why we must cherish every moment like it is our last.

Do not be afraid, try new things and enjoy life’s simple pleasures. A beautiful sunset or fresh flowers all around, simple beauties that we so often take for granted. Stop to take a picture or soak in the fresh aroma. Your plans can wait, but these simple moments can be gone with a change of wind.

Do what you’ve always dreamed. Travel, get an education and try new things. Don’t settle for something less, but reach for the stars and challenge yourself. If you’re scared to do it, go for it! Don’t let a brief fear keep you from love, but chase what you want. Find love and happiness. Try crazy things. Parachute, travel, climb a mountain and soar in a hang glider stretching your arms like eagle’s wings.

Eat dessert before dinner and dance in the rain. Eat what you love, and enjoy every bite. Savor the flavor and soak in the smell. Don’t let the rain turn you away, but embrace it as a fun obstacle challenging your day.

I’ve learned in my short life that life can instantly be taken away. My Aunt Cheryl was 53, with a life full of dreams still to come, but it disappeared when a cold turned out to be cancer swarming in her body. A week later her dreams on this earth turned to heaven up above. She cherished life before then, but as she lay there she told of all her dreams she had that were now vanishing. We were instructed to live our lives to the fullest from that day on, fulfilling our dreams, as well as hers.

My mom is a chemo nurse, dealing with cancer every day. She sees how lives can be destroyed and flipped up side down, all the anger, sadness, and utter shock swirling through your mind, as you comprehend how little time you have left. But she also sees the positive strength people have. Not letting it ruin their lives but brightening them. They make sure to do everything they’ve ever wanted before it’s too late. Instead of going through testing, and chemo, all the sickness and surgery, they let life take its course, embracing every moment. They dance in the rain, eat dessert before dinner, travel every site in the world, and simply stop to smell the roses. They teach us to be like them and live our life to the fullest as well. I take my camera everywhere, ready for an inspirational shot. I order dessert and indulge in every bite. I excel in school, as I plan to be anything I choose. I dance in the rain and laugh at the smallest things. These little joys, brighten my day, and teach me to celebrate life.