The Power of One Person

Michael - St. Ann, Missouri
Themes: change

I believe in the power of one person

One day when I was young I was told that one person could not change the world. After pausing for a moment and really thinking about those words, I decided that I would change the world before I died. To believe that the life of a person does not affect the lives of others is ridiculous. And I also believe that as a human being I have the responsibility to leave this world better than when I came into it.

There are many problems in the world today; pollution, hunger, poverty, discrimination, and war are just a few. Take for example Al Gore, he spoke out about global warming and convinced millions of people to save electricity cut down on pollution. If that doesn’t make a difference on the world than I don’t know what will. Or maybe we should we should think about Mother Teresa or Dorothy Day. Both of which helped the poor and hungry improve their lives. Or maybe Martin Luther King Jr. who strived for civil right for African Americans. Or what about the thousands of martyrs who died for their beliefs. My point is that without these people the world would be a very different place than it is now. And that if they can change the world than so can I.