Event That Changed My Life

Alex - Fenton, Missouri

I believe that one event can change somebody’s life forever. About two and a half years ago, my mom told my whole family that she needed a heart transplant in order to survive. For the next seven months after that, my mom stayed at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. I went from seeing my mom every single day before her health problems to seeing her maybe once a month. This was a very tough time for my family and me. I learned many things about life and about myself. First of all I learned how important family is. Over this hard time, I was always given support by my family knowing that we were all in this together. They were always there for me by making sure I maintained as normal of a life as possible. My dad was especially awesome during this time. He did everything he could do for me and I couldn’t thank him enough. I also learned how precious life is. You never know whether you will ever see someone again or not. I realized that you only have one impression on a person and you might as well make it a good one. My mom eventually did receive her new heart and I couldn’t be more grateful. I think that I became a better person by realizing the true joys in life.