This I Believe: The Value of Team Sports

Matthew - Chesterfield, Missouri

I believe that team sports lay a foundation for good character and teach life lessons that cannot be learned in other situations. Growing up I have played numerous different team sports; from tee ball, to soccer and football. I currently play football for my high school. I believe that football has had a great influence on the person that I am today. One of the most obvious elements of team sport is teamwork. To me, being part of a team is like being part of a family. We share the ups, the downs, the wins and the losses, the hot summer days and the cool winter weather. Everything done is done as a team and each member has a responsibility to that team. I have learned that my actions effect more than just myself.

In life, you must cooperate and function with others in order to succeed. Team sports put players in a situation where every individual must come together in order to act as a whole in order to succeed. A team cannot operate if one member does not cooperate with the others. Team sports also build qualities like trust. Each player on a team must trust that the other players will follow there responsibilities. To me, being able to work as a team is one of the most important qualities in life.