Freedom is just an expression

Alexander - columbia, Missouri
Themes: freedom

“Isn’t it great to live in a free country”, is the cliché heard a million times everyday in the U.S. Everyone goes about their live thinking that they are living up the freedom bestowed on them by the acts of our forefathers, when in truth true freedom is just as elusive and mythical as a dragon. True freedom is something I have been searching for since I was a just a third grader hearing about planes crashing into towers about 8 years ago. I have been a slave to fear, doubt, and insecurity. If we were truly free we wouldn’t have to feel these horrible feelings, right?

I cannot deny that in the past months I have lost faith in some aspects of the American way, and it disheartens me, as I’m sure it has some of you. Think about it for a moment if I haven’t already lost you, are you truly free? Do you really have the freedom that you think you do? I don’t believe that if you look deep enough your answer will really be yes. We may be free from the oppression of our old masters and kings, but we are not free from the chains and bonds of our fear.

I cannot stress the fact that even though we have some freedoms we don’t have true Freedom. I believe that if we had true freedom our country wouldn’t be in the despair we are facing now as we walk into the store and look at the constant rise of the price of a simple gallon of milk. Freedom is stated in the dictionary as, and I quote, “a state in which somebody is able to act and live as he or she chooses, without being subject to any undue restraints or restrictions”. Do you really live like you want to, or do you live like you have to?

Freedom is just an expression, This I believe.