Tony - St. Lous, Missouri

My name is Tony. I am a senior at Christian Brothers College High School (CBC) in St. Louis Missouri. I have written essays previous to this one before but I never tried to get them posted on the actual website. One of my past teachers wrote a very moving essay on women in an overpowered man’s world. That’s my first source of the website. The second semester started in my senior year and I went to one of my newly elective religion classes called Death and Resurrection. The teacher is really cool and once he told us about creating an essay for the site I figured this was the time to actually write a good one and get it posted.

This I believe. There are very few things I have a strong belief for in the world. Call me crazy, but I guess just being in the time frame of my life makes me think about all the possibilities of everything. First things first: Religion. Just being in a catholic school, a catholic parish, and just an all out catholic environment, I want to say I am a strong catholic. The only problem is… I do not go to church. What I’m trying to say is why would someone have to go to church when the church encourages us to pray. I believe praying and going to church are the same thing, if you exclude the host, wine, and group gathering. Before I go any further I would like to let you know that I have a very open ranged mind. I will think or say anything that comes to it. Anyway, even though there are lots and lots of religions out there, I don’t understand why a person haves to choose one. I believe because nothing is sure enough for anyone to know, atheism is the best way to go for every single person in the world. Religion creates conflict and conflict creates deaths. Even though I say atheism is the best way to go for everyone, I still will consider myself as a strong catholic.

By now you are probably thinking, “This kid hasn’t said anything in regards to his few beliefs in the world”. Well, this I believe, or the only thing I believe in, is my family and friends. I have a select group of friends that I know would do anything for me and I would do the same for them. And for my family, I cannot say I’m closer to anyone that my mother, father, and sister.

Believe it or not, there is a purpose to the way I’m writing this essay. You might be thinking I’m illiterate or something but just keep reading and you will understand. My senior English class is one of the hardest classes I’ve ever had to take. Although, with the price of hard work in this class, comes knowledge I will forever remember. Earlier in the year, we read a book entitled Our Town. I didn’t really like the book particularly for its story, but I liked the theme of it. It is called a continuity theme. A continuity theme is the ongoing expectations of life. Everything happens and restarts in a cycle. Such as person a dies, then person b is born. So if you have put the puzzle together yet, I talked about religion in which I was born into Catholicism. Secondly I talked about my family and friends which I live my life with. So can you guess what the third topic is?

Death is the most inevitable and predictable moment a person has in their life. No matter how long it takes till they get to that moment, it will happen without anyone’s consent. Once again a piece of knowledge I picked up from English class. We are currently reading a book called the stranger. It deals with existentialism. Existentialism is a philosophy that denies that the universe has any meaning or purpose. The more I think about it, the more I begin to believe in it. What is the point of a life, if when we die it means nothing? Of course people will argue that what you do in your life will determine whether you go to heaven or to hell, but like I said in the first belief… no one knows the final truth so there might not even be a heaven or hell. I want to believe in heaven and I’m living a good life, but that is just the way I was brought up by my parents. The more mature I become, the more my mind begins to think rationally. We will never know the truth until we die, so I believe to live life to its fullest. In that way, if we die and there is a heaven, we will be granted into heaven. If there isn’t like the existentialists believe, then when you die you will be convinced that you lived a happy life.

“He is just a seventeen year old, He doesn’t know anything”… right? If this does happen to get posted most of my readers will be older than me and some might disregard everything I said in this past essay. I would actually recommend them to disregard my essay, but I would want them to open their mind about everything in the world like I am trying to do. It relieves stress. Trust me. Believe.