Chasing Memories

Brooke - Newark, Ohio

Losing someone in your life can be devasting. It’s even worse when you are really close to them. Never forget the memories you had with them. You sometimes learn very important life lessons from them. That’s what happened to me.

Lucy Ellen Herron was my best friend, hero and inspiration. As I was sitting in her room, the last words I heard her speak to me were “I Love You”. And then from that point forward my life changed. I heard the monitors go off, and I knew she was gone, but not gone forever. I ran out of the room crying. I just had to be alone. I couldn’t face anyone. I felt like it was my entire fault. A short while after my dad came over to me. We looked at each other for a few minutes and more tears just came rushing down my face, he wrapped his arms around me, kissed my forehead and he assured me everything would be all right. But I don’t know how anyone could tell me that. I lost someone who meant the world to me. She will always be a part of me, even though she’s not here.

As time went by I started believing everything would be okay. I soon came to realize it wasn’t my fault at all. Life is rough without her I will admit, but I try to remember all the things me and her did together. And that’s one thing that is important; remember all the good times you have had with someone, because once you forget you will never remember. As for me I still lay in my bed at night and cry because I miss her, but yet because I can’t stop laughing about some of the things me and her did. The one thing I remember most was is that she was always there for me. If I was sad or upset or just needed someone to talk to, I knew I could count on her. Every weekend I would stay with her, and during the summer I was over there everyday. I believe that’s what makes it so hard for me to forget her. I have some special keep sakes from her as well: I have a bible she gave to me on my birthday one year, and that ended up being life changing for me. She was a very active Christian lady. And I always envied that in her. And that’s something I cant thank her enough for.

No matter what you lose in life, never forget it. Never forget what you had with them. There are plenty of ways you can keep them memories. You can simply look back on pictures, tell stories of what you use to do together, or little keepsakes they have given you. Chase after your memories and guard them in your heart.