Max - Saint Louis, Missouri

Recently, during the month of November 2008, I received a phone call at around 12:30 on a school night from my best friend. He had called me around the same time the night before because of girl problems so I answer in anticipation of hearing something bad that happened with his girlfriend. Screaming he says, “Wake up, Max, something really bad just happened.” I reply, “Ok, ok I’m up!” He yells again and the following words come out of his mouth, “It’s Joe, Joe just got shot twice.” I think to myself this has to be a dream or a joke but when I finally am awake I realize it is reality. I immediately began to panic, losing my heart beat and sat there with a handful of questions, but I could not speak. I was in shock. Finally I start asking questions right and left: “How, when, where, why?” “Is he ok?” “Where did he get shot?” All of my questions are answered and I find out that he was shot twice. One bullet went through his left wrist and the other hit his right arm. Still shocked, relief filled my body that he was going to live and no major injuries had occurred. Even though Joe is one of my best friends, it had been a little while since I talked to him and we were starting to drift farther and farther apart. This incident did not only teach Joe many lessons, but taught everyone that heard the story lessons. I was taught to always stay close to your friends because you never know when something like this is going to happen. If he would have died that night, which easily could have been the case, I would never be the same person. There would be so many things in my head that I never told him and wish I would have. I am just glad to this day that he is living healthy and that he is around to talk to. This incident also made me realize how sacred life is and that even though you have to live life to its full extent, that there are boundaries. I have been jumped multiple times and been in a car (cab) accident. These are things that I have come through on top but have taken for granted. I always live life like I am invincible and this incident with Joe finally made me realize that nobody is invincible. I realized this because it wasn’t about me; it was a loved one that almost had his life taken from him. I believe that everybody needs friends and they need to make an effort to stick close to them. I also believe that life is sacred and that it should not be abused.