Winning Is Everything

Johnathan - newark, Ohio

My hobby is drag racing. I have been drag racing since I was nine years old. I started out in my Jr.Dragster. The last year I have been racing my 2000 Firebird in the super pro class. It is the toughest class there is to race in. I am one of the youngest people in the class. There are people that have been racing the same car in the same class for longer than I have been alive. I never thought that being so young in this class would be so difficult.

The beginning of the year wasn’t so bad nobody really talked to me or even really thought I was any competition. My dad even heard people saying that I would crash the car because it would be to fast for me to handle. This just made me want to win even more. Another thing that made me mad was when something broke on my car and a few people came down to see if they could help and I tried to help fix it and they told me I didn’t know what I was doing. My dad and I put the whole car together by are selves.

I knew that I had to prove myself to get anywhere in this class. It was May and the first points race of the year. I did pretty well in my to time runs and I was ready for first round. When I got up there to get pared up I was beside to of the best racers in division three. I knew I was in the big boy’s class now and had to be on top of my game. Well I got pulled out against the division three champ to years in a row. He is the only person to win the division more than once and he was a world champ in 2006.

I was so nervous he is one of the people who looked down on me for being so young. Well he ended up beating me but I gave it such a good run he came over and shook my hand. This made me feel like I finally reached some respect. Up until this point I felt kind of useless as a racer. Well the third point’s race of the year I won the whole race this surprised me more than anybody. On my way up to the winners circle there was a line of racers giving me thumbs up and clapping. I believe that people shouldn’t judge others on age but they should be judged on will power and skill level.