People Do Good Things

Lauren - Rockwall, Texas

What show has everybody turning on the television? This show digs up the dirt, it shows us the ugly truth about the world, and it makes people ponder things. I am talking about the news. It has made acts of evil a viral being, simply because all it airs are foul things such as: armed robberies, murders, death, missing people found dead, etc. It is not something you leave joyful, you leave scared and thinking the world truly is coming to an end. This is why I have stopped watching the news. It would always test my faith with humanity. I shouldn’t be getting depressed after the news or even asking myself ‘how are people doing this to each other’? But this isn’t/doesn’t have to be the case every time I watch the news.

The news serves as catalyst for either a bad chain of events or a good chain of events being spread throughout the world. I believe that if we were to see little girls helping older ladies cross the street or men saving kittens from trees being publicized on the news instead of ‘Local gas station just robbed’ the world be a better place. This would only be a starting point because I also believe people when they see good being done; they in return would do good things too. And if we were to eliminate bad things being highlighted, there would be no reason for malicious things to be done in spite of the attention received. Even if we could cancel out a criminal deed with a noble deed because I understand we have to announce some malevolent things. Such as when people go missing and all but instead of making it seem like a lost cause, the news should make it a call to duty to find this person.

I reckon if we were to exchange the 30 minutes of chatter about everything falling apart in this world with 30 minutes of lovely, virtuous things normal people were doing, what would the outcome be? I have faith in people to make good choices, the right choices, and what else is there to do when that is all you are being shown? Monkey see, monkey do.