My Inspiration

Andrew - St. Charles, Missouri

I believe grandparents inspire their grand children from their life experience. My grandfather has shared many tales of his life with me and they have made an impact on me.

I believe my grandfather has shown me perseverance. He has shown me this through hard work; by telling me when he was a little kid he had to go make money to support his family. He would have to wake up extra early everyday and get all the farm chores done for his dad, and get to school. Then my grandfather would walk to school and get the classroom heated up, all cleaned, and did everything else that needed to be done before school started. My grandfather was also an excellent cotton picker. The guys he worked with picked 100 pounds of cotton in three days; my grandfather picked 500 pounds in one day. He said that everyone thought he was a famous cotton picker. My grandpa loved school and getting an education. He thought getting an education was so important he went to the University of Missouri and paid his own tuition and books every year. He became a professor of Veterinarian Medicine. That’s how hard of a worker he was. I learned from him if you put your mind to something, and work as hard as you can anything is possible.

I believe he has shown me how to be a man of character. My grandpa was drafted and fought in World War II at the Battle of the Bulge. During the battle, a Nazi grenade went off and some shrapnel from the grenade got his leg. At the end of the War he was awarded the Purple Heart, but he turned it down, because he said he didn’t need any recognition for what happened to him. He just fought and did his job, nothing more nothing less. He is also the kind of man who always did the right thing. If I have to take really tough classes, he would just be of proud of me. All I need to do is just work hard and do the very best that I can, even if it is not always an A. He always encourages me and has confidence in me. That’s how he shows he loves and cares about me. My grandfather also has strong opinions. Once he makes his decision you can’t change his mind, no matter how hard you try. He doesn’t have to say much to gain your respect. I want to a person of character, be brave, and have respect. My grandfather has impacted my life. I believe I am a better person because of him.