Importance of Proper Parenting

Adeeb - Lafayette, California
Themes: change, courage, work

When my parents fled a war-ravaged Afghanistan to come to America, both lost something that they will never fully recover from. My grandfather’s kidneys failed, and his death left my 17 year old father alone to register himself for high school, alone to learn a new language, alone to raise enough money to bring his mother who was hiding in Pakistan. My mother’s school in Afghanistan was reduced to rubble and ash, along with it her aspirations for a high school diploma. The subsequent escape to America wrote an entirely new list of priorities for the overwhelmed teen: maintain two jobs, learn English, assimilate to a culture which was tremendously liberal and free-spirited compared to what she was accustomed to.

My father’s inspiring resiliency and my mother’s extraordinary ability to overcome great adversities have formed a sturdy foundation on which I have built my belief system. From their struggles and sacrifices I draw motivation; through their gentle guidance and encouragement I expand my horizons. My parents have planted their perseverance and resolve within me, and it is my duty to sow the seeds of their enduring fortitude.

All the while they fight forward, working tirelessly to improve our family’s conditions. Putting my needs in front of their own, selflessly investing in my education, the examples my parents have set have molded me into who I am today, the values instilled within me are reflected by my every idea, every decision.

Winston Churchill once stated “There is no doubt that it is around the family and the home that all the greatest virtues, the most dominating virtues of human society, are created, strengthened and maintained.”

I can relate to Churchill’s words.

My father’s devotion to education created my drive for extending my base of knowledge.

My mother’s integrity strengthened my morals and value system.

Their ongoing efforts to sustain an enjoyable life for their children maintained my increasing gratitude for their accomplishments.

Whatever success I’ve experienced over the course of my life has stemmed from these examples my parents set.

And as I look back upon my life, I realize that all that I was, all that I ever will be, is a product of my parents’ upbringing. A reflection of their values and teachings.

Within this understanding originated my belief that the examples parents set when raising their child is the most influential factor in that child’s ability to succeed.

Effective parenting lays a long-standing foundation, providing for the child a structure necessary to create a lasting home. This I believe.