Sometimes It’s Okay to be Violent

Mariah - Florence, Montana

I believe that sometimes aggression is okay. You have to let me explain before you stop reading because you believe that violence is wrong. I’m not talking about hitting people or animals or shooting things or being verbally abusive. When I say that violence is ok, I mean that sometimes beating things is a great way to get rid of stress. There are times when you just need to let out all your stress and anger, and for me hitting something is how I start to feel better.

I have those days, just like everybody else, when everything seems to be going wrong. My day or week is going so bad I don’t want to get up the next morning, because it will be exactly the same as the last few days. I have come to my breaking point, and I’m not sure if I’m going to break or if something else is. On days like that, when the whole world is against me. I have found there is always one thing I can turn to. That one thing is my own personal punching bag.

For some people, listening to loud music makes the world right again; for others the trick is to scream into a pillow. For me, the one thing I have found that helps me feel better, is to go hit something. Not a brick wall or anything that would hurt me, but something just solid enough to make all the anger go away. A hay bale. Each time my fist hits the bale of hay I decide to pick on, it’s that much more anger, frustration, and unspoken feelings that are released. I pull back my arm and focus on the one thing that I want to be rid of, and I slam my bare fist into the side of the hay with all my might. Sometimes I get so carried away I follow up the hit with a powerful kick. I force every hurt feeling, bad day, and stressed weekend into the hay, and pound it in to make it stay there. Once it has left my fist, it’s gone. I don’t have to worry about being plagued by the unwanted feelings again. Within five or ten minutes, I am exhausted, emotionally and physically, but I feel light. Nothing can touch me. I might be drained, but I am free. There is a peace about me that allows me to continue living life without trouble.

I’m not saying that hitting a hay bale is for everyone. I’m not even saying that it is good. All I am saying is that, I believe that hitting a hay bale is a good way for to relieve stress. And so, I believe that in a weird way, violence can set me free.