Curly Hair

Zoe - Bethesda, Maryland

Pretty much every magazine will tell you the same thing…How to get beautiful curls: straighten your hair, then use a curling iron to curl it. Voila! You have achieved your perfect curly hair.

Yeah right.

I believe in curly hair. The real, natural kind that you can twirl your fingers around, not brush, and let it just be free. The kind that turns heads, and you can see people thinking “whoa, look at that girl’s hair.” The kind that twists and turns and spirals, and somehow all works together to create a mass of personality.

My sister and I both have curly hair. People know us for our curly hair, and say how much we look alike. When people see us, they see our hair. I don’t always love my hair because its different and sometimes try to deny it by straightening it. But I eventually realize that there’s nothing I can do to change it, because my hair is what it is. And even though it is sitting on top of my head, my hair has a mind of its own and embodies the person I wish to be.

Curly hair does its own thing. Every morning when I wake up, I wonder what today’s hair will look like. Will it be ringlets? Wavy? Frizzy? To tell you the truth, I never know. Curls are unique and original, they don’t let anyone affect them, and so, they are free to express their own individuality.

But as every unique person knows, originality can sometimes mean being teased. My sister, who has even curlier hair than mine, is the victim of frequent teasing. People call her hair the fro, she’s gotten the “bad hair day” paper plate award, and people have gotten their laughs by hiding things in her hair. I know sometimes she really hates her hair, but in the end, she would never change it because it is who she is.

Curly hair cannot be controlled. Any extreme effort put into maintaining it is a lost cause and I soon realize that it is not worth it. In an attempt to plaster down my curls, I would often resort to excessive amounts of hair gel. One time, one tiny curl managed to escape, and I realized that I should not bother restraining my hair’s freedom, a liberty that it so clearly desires.

I believe that the world would be a better place if everyone acted like curly hair: freely and individually. No two curls should be the same, and no two people should be the same. With all of the social pressures in today’s society, it is important for people to be diverse and be able to do so without feeling restricted.

Most girls my age dream of straight, shiny hair. Over years of listening to my sister get compliments on her hair from grown-ups, I have realized that curly hair is something that you have to grow into. Maybe growing up means getting the confidence to sport your curly hair.

I believe in curly hair.