Truth of Reality

Nicholas - Torrington, Connecticut

You can be anything you want to be. I’ve been hearing messages like this since I was in elementary school. I’ve heard it from teachers, actors on television, and the few who have made it. I believe in the opposite. I believe you can’t be anything you want to be. I believe you can’t do anything you want to do.

Ever since I was little I wanted to be a professional racecar driver for a living. You can be anything you want to be. As I got older, I realized that everything involving professional racing also involves a lot of money or knowing someone already involved. The chances of me doing it professionally were one in a million. I would probably have better luck winning the lottery. I realize now that the message that should have been preached to me is, “you can be anything you want to be within reason”. I now race cars, but only as a hobby. I know that it’s not going any farther than that, and to think differently would just be lying to myself.

When I see celebrities on television saying, “you can be anything you want to be,” I just laugh. It’s as if they’re saying, “Look at me, I did it and so can you”. You’re supposed to get moved or inspired by seeing their success. They don’t show you all the people that tried at things and just couldn’t do it, all the people that put out one hundred percent and it just wasn’t enough. I hear these success stories of how this person grew up in poverty and had all the odds stacked against them and yet, they pulled through. Out of the depths of hopelessness and desperation and look at them now! There’s so much poverty that I know not everyone could have possibly pulled through. And was this one person that pulled through the only one that tried their best and wanted to be something more? I doubt it. I want to hear the story of the average person that tried their hardest and still couldn’t be what they wanted to be.

I think this message is preached so much, so that we, (especially young kids), will be just a little bit more motivated, and work just a little harder; so even if we don’t get exactly what we want, we will still end up being successful. Just because I don’t race cars for a living doesn’t mean I’m not happy or that I’m not successful. It just means some things are just out of reach no matter how hard I try. This I believe, put forth your best effort and know exactly what you want to achieve, but don’t count on it happening.