We All Wanna Change the World

Shelby - Lake Stevens, Washington
Themes: change

According to the 1960’s vastly popular boy band, The Beatles, had some very unique outlooks on life and how they ran their own and how they influenced others. They have one song that I really look up to that was written in 1968 called, “Revolution”. It was John Lennon’s (member of The Beatles, lead singer) response to the Vietnam War, and it talks about how the world changed due to America’s longest war.

A revolution is a fundamental change in power or organizational structures that takes place in a relatively short period of time. In the song they talk about “Destruction”, and “How they can count them out”, stating that they are following such guidelines of the Anti-war Movement that was introduced to America during the Vietnam War. I think the reason I like this song so much is because it lets me know that if a band singing about the bad things going on in the world, why can’t someone, like me, be able to advocate the affects going on now even better than before?

The song is all about how people are pushing for change in the world, but some people are trying to change it in a violent way, when they should be trying to change it peacefully. The song basically means that you can have a revolution of thought without having a war. You can also make revolution through other topics such as; changing the lives of the people that you love, changing the lives of people that need help in different parts of the world, or just changing your own life to improve the lives of others.

I believe that anybody can change the world. Our world needs to be changed, and now educating myself deeper into the meaning of this song, I know that I can be that person. I want to alert others of the serious appalling things going on right now, and I know that I can change them. And The Beatles believe that “Everything is gonna be alright” according to their song.

Tomas Jefferson said that “Every generation needs a new revolution”. I believe that I am a revolution. Not only do I want to educate people, but I want to change the problems for good.