If Only You Listen

Stephen - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

I believe that if you actually listen to your grandparent’s stories, you might learn a lesson.

Whether you have a lifetime goal or a short term goal, all of the achievements in your life can be accomplished if you concentrate on your goal and not let small things get in your way

I learned this from my grandfather, who passed away in 2003 at the age of ninety. He taught me patience in trying to achieve your goal. My grandfather worked in the OG&E construction department and you have to have patience for that job, waiting for all the people who actually put the electrical lines in the ground.

When I was old enough to understand what he was talking to me about, I started to understand all of his stories about when he was in northern Oklahoma, digging holes for OG& E. What I learned from those stories was a life lesson to have patience when you are on the job site and not blow up and get mad at someone, or you will lose your job.

He also taught me how to have fun, but not to get so carried away that you lose focus in what you are doing. So, the lesson was to have fun, but stay on task and you can achieve you goal and have fun also.

Another example that I learned from him was to be serious about the big things. Don’t take them lightly or it will go over your head, but if you focus on it you will conquer it and not have to worry about it anymore.

Another enlightening thing that he taught me is that if you work hard you can attain your goal no matter what. Before he grew old, while my mom was still living at home, he used to work around the house, painting the house or building bird feeders and bird houses and doing small jobs that the house needed. He worked in his old tool shed in the back that he put together by himself. He put electricity in the tool shed and he used to fix lawn mowers and fixed them for other people so they could mow their lawns. The amazing thing about this is my grandfather only had a fourth grade education in a small town school. He believed he could do these things with no additional schooling or technical training.

Another item he taught me is that if you be nice to people they will return the favor by being nice to you and doing favors for you in return and you gain friends that way.

Contrary to what most people think, your grandparent’s old stories of their childhood are not stupid. If you actually listen to them, you will learn life lessons and grow close to them.