Love Story

Brittany - Port Jefferson, New York

The earth is 4.5 billion years old. I am seventeen. I have not experienced anything near to what I will, nor have I accumulated a fraction of the knowledge I have the potential to, but I can sincerely say that I have already discovered part of my future. I believe that there is one person for everyone; one soul that matches perfectly to you. I never used to believe in love like that, after a painful breakup with a verbally abusive boyfriend, but ever since I found real love in this world, my eyes have opened to this notion.

We met in 2006 at a youth camp I was forced to attend with my friends. I offered him my name and hand. We spoke, and exchanged contact information. He lived in Pittsburgh, and I had never stayed in contact with camp friends before. But I knew this was different. I discovered that we shared the same values, beliefs, and ideas incommunicable to other people. For two years we stayed in contact, learning everything about each other. There was nothing we didn’t reveal. Through hard times we were both there. It was never romantic, but I knew that I felt love for him. I came across Rumi, an ancient poet, who gave me an answer to this curious situation. The proverb goes like this: “The minute I heard my first love story / I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. / Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. / They’re in each other all along.” I knew that he was this match; when I met him it was like seeing someone that I’d known my whole life.

Then, in July 2008, he visited me and everything changed. We decided that our connection was there for a reason – there was an invisible pull between us. This mutual acceptance was more than just the acquisition of a boyfriend; a childish feeling mistaken for ‘love’. It wasn’t status or love. It was how I possessed unspeakable thoughts and feelings for someone who could reiterate them back to me as if he were reading my mind. It was believing I had found someone who wouldn’t leave me because they were destined to be there; whether to be a good friend or a partner. It was rebirth; rather, being born for the first time. It was breathing out.

Though the earth is 4.5 billion years old and I am seventeen, I don’t consider myself young and naïve. I feel fortunate to have found something so brilliant so early in my life. I have never been so sure about something, but perhaps I am wrong. Maybe he isn’t ‘it’. Maybe there’s more to see in years to come. At this point in my life I believe there is one, and it could be him. I believe that if there is someone who can bring out more emotion in me than he does, I don’t want to meet them, for fear that my heart might explode.