Seeing the Good

Janelle - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

I believe that life itself is amazing, but one thing that I have found to be most amazing is the fact that everything you need to make you happy falls into place right when you need it too.

If I was told that two years ago, I would have just rolled my eyes and I would have never believed it for a second. Now, I am older, and I have learned a lot more than what I knew before. I’ve learned that being optimistic goes a long way. I’ve learned that I need to open my eyes and see what I have, even when it seems like I’m blinded by sadness. Now that I have opened my eyes, I have realized that all that it took to make me happy was just set out for me, almost as if it was planned from the beginning.

In middle school, I was painfully shy and although I had been with the people that were in my class for my entire life, I didn’t have many social skills. I stayed away from everyone, and kept to myself most of the time. I felt so sad, like things would never get better.

Once it was time for high school, I knew things had to change. I boosted my confidence and made lots of friends, but with one of those friends came a lot of problems. I still felt sad.

Then, I realized I didn’t need a friend who was only going to make me miserable. I had so many other friends who happily helped me through the situation. I was so blinded by my sadness that I didn’t even realize what I had to begin with. Now that I have realized everything that I do have, and all of the opportunities that have been put out for me, I have never been happier.

I’m not going to say that it was easy for me to start thinking this way. It was tough at first, but I know for a fact that anyone can do it, just like I did. I think everyone deserves to be happy, and everyone CAN be happy, it just takes time to get from a miserable state to a happier one.

I know we don’t live in a perfect world. So much goes on that is worth being sad over. Just watch a good ten minutes of the news; it seems as if all that is talked about is tragedies that happen. I think that if everyone would focus on the blessings they have in their lives, like I did, maybe it could get our world a little closer than what it should be.