Reason for the Season

Holly - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Reason for the Season

What is Christmas really about? Is it about gifts? Time off school? Food? Sledding down big, snowy hills? Maybe you will disagree, but I don’t think it is.

I think it is about family. It’s about being together with the ones you love, and celebrating Christmas.

Now, I think presents are an important part as well. Presents are one way to show your love for someone. A present is like a small piece of your heart.

There are other ways to make Christmas special without gifts. Gifts help spread the holiday cheer, but there is one way that spreads even better! Acts of love.

There are some years when money just isn’t available for gifts. Especially years like now with this economic problem. Many families aren’t going to be able to give gifts this Christmas. Does this mean that Christmas is cancelled? No. Cash can’t change Christmas cheer! Acts of love are an even better thing to give to someone, and can mean more.

What is a better way to help your mom clean the kitchen? Give her a new vacuum, or do it for her? I think the last one is the best. Yes, the easiest would definitly be to give her a new cleaning device, but it would be much more appreciated if you did it for her.

Jacob Brewer once said, “The holidays are a gift by themselves. We don’t need all of these other gifts when we have each other.”

I think that is so true. Christmas is what it is because of family. Family can make or break holidays.

I was listening to the radio and I heard a story. This lady was telling about first Christmas with her baby. They had had no money for gifts. They didn’t even have enough money to repair their heater. On Christmas Eve, a repair man came and repaired their heater even though they had not paid them.

Then, on Christmas morning, a big box was waiting at their door. In this box was every thing you need for Christmas. Food, clothes, and presents!

This woman still doesn’t know who sent her all of these gifts. But, this story shows that even without gifts, Christmas can still be really special. Maybe you won’t get a free box of food and gifts, but happiness will come in many other ways.

Christmas is all about happiness. Happiness doesn’t come in packedges. Happiness comes from our hearts. Sometimes, before Christmas, it’s easy to get caught up in all of the buying, and rush of everything. I know with my family it’s sometimes this way. It’s not until Christmas Day, when we’re with our family, that we realize what it’s all about. That it’s all about the thought; not whether or not they will like it.

I think the best way to sum this all up is in this quote.

St. Therese of Lisieux once said, “Without acts of love, deeds, even the most brilliant, count as nothing.”