I believe life needs to be lived

Kelly - Westlake, Ohio

Wake up. Sleep walk (while convincing your mind your eyes are open) to your robe. Brew the coffee. Get the ol’ Skip dog food. Read the paper about the corrupt economy just to start your day off with a smile. Go to work. Sit in traffic. Receive a lovely headache. Come home from work to your kids crying. Eat dinner that evolves into a brawl. Go to bed. Repeat.

I don’t understand how everyday some people revolve their lives around hackneyed schedules to live what they think is a “happy life”. Not one thing in that schedule besides people- watching in traffic and spotting a handsome man “digging for gold”, or soul sister “belting out” to Celine Dion, sounds entertaining. Now people may look at me and see a boring, average person that is just trying to get the day over-with, but that is purely a disguise. Sure, maybe it’s just an adolescent thing, but I have witnessed my own self jumping around and dancing on my bed when the alarm sounds at 5:59 AM. And I’ll be the first to admit, you don’t see that coming from civilized, mannered people too often. But hey! Why wake up if you’re just going to dread another simple day in the one life you have to live. This I believe is the problem. People need not to live just to live, but live to make memories and discover what life is all about. And all it took was one day for my life to get turned around…

The forecast was 72 degrees, clear skies and a beating sun, which happens to be perfect weather to drive around with the windows down and the music up. As it happens so, I was doing exactly that with my boyfriend Jack. “Member when…” I said as I started rambling on about all of the fulfilling times I had in the past few years that really made my life enjoyable. Laughing and thinking in the car caused my double tasking skills to come out and play (sorry mom!) but at that moment I looked at jack and said, “What about you, what about your old memories?” and the car became still.

“I don’t really have any sublime memories of my past,” Jack said. As my radiant smile drooped, the thought electrocuted me.

“Too many people today just live their life to live. I don’t like it. There is so much out there waiting for us. People need to make the most out of life and stop being so serious.”

Jack was stunned by the wisdom that surprisingly came out of my babbled mouth. As we hung our hands out of the window, our pores inhaled the air in natural harmony. As we sang to music, we finally felt free and meaningful. As we looked at our surroundings, we became thankful for everything, rather than taking advantage of it all.

So I say, Why not change? God gave us the gift of one beautiful life to use however you can make it out too. Yes, easier said than done, but why not challenge life? Stop being so serious. Start living life! Dance on your bed at 6 AM. Entertain a crowd. Explore minds of others to interfere with their boring lives and impact them.

Wake up. Sleep walk to your robe. Brew the… No. Not today. Today is a brand new day.