What You Give is What You Get

Abby - Westlake, Ohio

I believe that what you put into something or the work you do is what you get out of it. The more effort you give into a project or goal the more you will gain from it. I have learned this throughout high school. I have come a long way from freshman year where I would get suspended and arrested almost every other week. Not only have I learned to control my anger better, but I have learned to care about school and work. It has amazed my parents and teachers that I got straight A’s last report card, and work almost every day. I believe that trying my best and putting hard work into a project or whatever it may be pays off in the end.

This past year has been very rough and has tested me in more ways than one. My mom has been in the hospital almost all year and still is. I miss her a lot and not having her at home is really hard. However, I must stay strong for her and my family. This is why I put so much effort into my schoolwork and my work at the retirement home. My freshmen year in high school I did not try at all and just didn’t care about anything, including myself. This resulted in bad grades, disappointed parents, depression, trouble, and no friends. When you don’t put anything into something, you will get absolutely nothing out of it. That is what had happened to me and I was lost. For example, I had to make a children’s book a few days back for a class and the first time around I was too stressed and too lazy to actually do it, so I stole someone else’s idea for a book. I didn’t do much with it and turned it in, and right away my teacher knew. The second time I redid it, I put all my time and effort into it and I got a 100%; this really shows how effort goes a long way. Another example of this is finding a job the past summer. I finally started to try looking for a job and applied to many places and finally got called by a few places. I now work at Westlake Village, which is a retirement home for old people, and serve dinner. It is very fulfilling to work there, and all the residents love me. This is why I believe the amount of work or effort you put into something is what you will get out of it.