A Girl Can Dream

Kristina - Westlake, Ohio

I have always had an overactive imagination. When I was a kid I spent the majority of my free time reading stories, drawing pictures, and trying new things. My childhood was full of fictional characters, adventures, and make-believe worlds. I would consider myself a pretty creative kid. I had no grasp on what was possible and what was impossible. That was the most amazing part of being a kid; there were no limits on my imagination. I wanted to travel around the world in 80 days. I dreamed of meeting the fascinating and eccentric characters in my stories. I wanted to be invited to attend a magical school when my birthday came around. I wanted to time travel, breathe under water, and instantly create the things that I drew on a piece of paper. All of these things were possible to me when I was a kid and they taught me to hope and not limit myself to the norm.

I now know that some of the things that I wanted to do are impossible, but nothing much about my imagination has changed since the time I was a child, with the exception of added responsibilities and stresses. Now I have to think about graduating, college, and the future. I do not let those things dominate my life though, just because I am close to being an adult doesn’t mean I can’t dream a little. I believe that the imagination has no expiration date.

My imagination and my innovativeness are some of the strongest qualities about me. So I have decided to base my entire life on my imagination. I chose to become an architect, where I am basically paid to create buildings people have never seen before, other than in their dreams. At least one of the things on my list of impossible feats is now possible. I can physically create the things that I draw on paper. I am going to be a creative and responsible adult that has the heart and imagination of child.

What is wrong with a little fantasizing? I think that having a balance of reality and fantasy makes life interesting. It makes people desire and strive after greater and better things, even if it is close to impossible. The thought of walking on the moon was once only possible in the comics. A good balance can also better the world. Engineers, artists, inventors, and imagineers are some of the careers where the sole objective is to imagine and create the near impossible. Without these adults with child-like souls there would not be the amazing movies that we love, the safe cars that we drive, and the machines that save our lives.

The imagination is an extraordinary tool that can immensely better the world and is greatly overlooked by many people. Your imagination does not just stop because you’re suddenly an adult. It continues to thrive whether you like it to or not. It forces you to dream and be optimistic on life. A lifetime of wanting an extraordinary world is better than a lifetime of settling for the ordinary.