Paul - Westlake, Ohio
Themes: purpose

They told me that pain was only temporary. That soon enough I would be healed, on my feet, and maybe even stronger than before, but that is not how I felt. It had been 8 months and I was walking out those dreadful, automatic sliding doors at my orthopedic doctors for the last time. I had spent so long locked in my own dungeons of despair and agony. I continued to only look at the devastating events of the past and how it had put me back in life. One day, searching the web, looking at quotes, I came across one by Helen Keller that I had to look at for awhile. It read, “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”

From that day on, my outlook on life changed dramatically. Of course I still had days where I was put down and depressed, but I learned to put things in my past and move forward in life with spirit and joy. I learned to look forward to the things to come and smile about what I had and not what was lost. At the age of 19 months, Helen Keller contracted a disease that left her both blind and deaf. She struggled through her young life but eventually, through impossible odds, graduated from college and became a very famous American. Helen had a very positive look on life and I look to her every day as inspiration. Although, the conditions and circumstances were much worse for her, I can relate to her pain and suffering.

People around the world go through hard times; it is what you make of these hard times and your ability to get through them that define you as a person, this I believe. Whether you live your life deaf and blind or just fighting through a painful injury, we must all look ahead to the good that will be sure to come. Everything happens for a reason. I now know and fully understand this concept and I feel that it is my duty to share this with all who will listen.