What might seem the most fun at the time, it might risk the closeness with your family

Brennan Liu - Knoxville,TN,37922, Tennessee
Themes: family, integrity

For as long as I have lived, I have learned things will affect me the rest of my life. One of the most important things in my life is my parents. Losing a parent would almost be like losing myself or losing a friend. So I believe, what seems the most fun thing to do at the time might risk the closeness with your parents. In my life, I have risked my parents’ relationship a lot but has never been token away from me. But recently, it was not taken away from me; I forced it away.

In my sophomore year, I risked the most important thing to me, my relationship with my parents. On a Saturday, I wanted to do one thing that I had on my mind. I wanted to hang out with my friends. With a bad grade in Geometry, my parents did not let me go. So at that time I might have done one of the worst things to do, I was going to sneak out. My plan was to sneak out while my parents were at a tennis party, get my friends to come pick me up, then get home before they came back. It all seemed like a great planned, but I had the feeling that something bad was going to happen. Over at my friend’s house, we were having a great time. We were watching football games and eating and nothing could have gone better with my plans. But right as everything was going good, the worst happen. My parents were coming home early to see a house with my sister and no me. When they found out I was gone, they were angry. They began to call my friends to find where I was and finally found out. When they got to my friend’s house, my father stormed. Being caught in front of all my friends was embarrassing, but I was more worried about the consequences. After being yelled at for my wrong decisions, I finally reached my house. When I walked, I was caught with a blank stare from a long time friend, my mother. She told me what she was thinking. Her stare read, “I can’t trust my own child and I don’t know if this will stop”. This stare was the worst part of my night. Have you ever had felt so bad that you felt chills up your back? That’s what the stare did to me. After talking to my mother, I felt like I just lost a friend, or rather forced my friend to leave. This was worse than getting grounded. Being grounded will end, but my old relationship with my mother may not come back.

After everything that night, the only thing I could think of was the stare. The cold, bothersome stare wouldn’t leave me thoughts. Instead of the fun night I thought was going to be so important, the thing that stuck with me was my mother’s stare. That five second gaze was so short but yet it got a point across, a point that affects me still. Although what might seem the most fun thing to do at the time, it might risk the closeness you have with your family.