life’s Treasures

taylor - knoxville, Tennessee
Themes: death, family

In only fifteen years on this planet, I personally have experienced many life-changing events with the people I love and care about. These events range from happy ones to heartbreaking ones. In every single one of these situations the one thing that I have learned and believe in is treasuring every moment you have with the ones you love.

Most teenagers my age are blessed with a mother and a father, however I am not as lucky as most teenagers. When I was born I was blessed with a loving mother and father but around the age of eight my father was diagnosed with lung cancer at the age of forty-four. This came as a huge shock to my family and I but somehow we saw this coming or at least everyone but me. My father was indeed a smoker but it did not stop me from loving him with all of my eight-year-old heart. In my opinion, he was the greatest man that ever lived besides Jesus and Chuck Norris. I am Just Kidding about Chuck Norris. But anyways, when I was eight I did not really fully understand what cancer was or what it did. All I knew is that my dad was very sick and was sick for quite sometime but around me he never seemed sick. He seemed like the same old dad that I spent a lot time with talking or playing soccer, but as time past his cancer grew worse. We started not to do as much as we used to because he was always in the hospital but that never stopped me from seeing my father. Everyday after school and on the weekends I was usually at the hospital with him. As the months went by it seemed like my dad getting so much better. He was home a lot more often and the doctors said he was getting healthier. Life could not be getting any better. Then all of sudden something so unexpected happen that would alter the rest of my life.

It was an early April morning and I had just returned from visiting my dad from the hospital around two in the morning. I was sleeping when all of a sudden my uncle awakened me with tears streaming down his eyes like a waterfall. I immediately woke got up and saw my grandmother on the phone crying. We then got in the car and rushed to the hospital. As soon as we got there I sprinted to my father’s room to see my mom holding his hand as she cried. I dropped to the ground and began crying. My father had passed away at around five o’clock in the morning. I did not know what to think or do. I felt depressed, angry, and just miserable.

Now I am fifteen, it has been almost seven years since my father’s passing and I am so thankful for the memories I have with my father. When people ask me if I miss my father of course I say yes. They also ask if I regret his death and my answer is no. The reason is because my father’s death was not a mistake because God took him for a reason. All I have now are memories of him and that is what keeps me going in my life. I look back at the happy times him and I spent together and I cherish every moment of it. So once again I believe that we should treasure the time we have with the people we love and care about because we never know what might happen tomorrow.