My Moms Cancer

Cory - 37922, Tennessee
Themes: family, illness

I believe that you should treasure every day as if it were your last because you never know if it really is. I think you should give the members of your family as much love and care as if it was your last day with them. Many people don’t think about what can happen in life and they soon might lose their chance to show their love for the person in their family that lost his/her life. I came to believe this after an event that greatly changed my calm sheltered life. The first blow came when my parents picked me up from school one day in the sixth grade.

When my mom and dad picked me up that day, I got in the car and noticed my mom was crying. She told me that she had cancer. I started to cry even though I didn’t really know what cancer was except that it was a deadly disease. For the next year I lived with her being sick all the time and not knowing whether she was going to be all right or not. As I learned more about what cancer was, the more afraid I became. A month after she had been diagnosed with cancer, the doctors at Vanderbilt had discovered that the cancer had spread into three of her lymph nodes. It seemed like she was getting worse and worse and I didn’t know what to do. During her chemotherapy and after about three surgeries, I came to the realization that she might not live through this whole ordeal. After that I decided to make every day from then on as special as I could because I had no clue what was going to happen to her. I started to help her with chores around the house like washing the dishes and doing the laundry. Thanks to the great neighbors we had around the block my mom didn’t have to make dinner for us because they did about every other day. At the time treasuring everyday with your loved ones was not really a belief for me but something I was doing to show my mother how much I loved her. After the chemotherapy, an extensive amount of reconstructive surgeries, and a lot of dinner from the neighbors, she was cancer free. I was glad that I had helped her and had shown how much I cared for her because I didn’t want her to go; I realized that you should show all the people in your family how much you love them because you just don’t know what is really going to happen. Her cancer was so unexpected that it hit me like a hammer in the face, and it showed me these things could happen to anybody.

Through most of my life I went by not thinking about the others in my family, living carefree until I learned that my mom had cancer. Her cancer showed me what can happen in the blink of an eye; if you’re not paying attention, you may lose a person you really care for even though you never got to show them how you felt. I believe that you should treasure everyday as if it was your or your loved ones’ last because you never know if it really is.